From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting distribution name and release version
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:38:09
1 On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:41:32 -0400 <Frank.Pikelner@××××××××.ca> wrote:
2 | We are writing remote systems management software for Linux systems
3 | and are looking for a standard way to obtain a remote systems
4 | distribution name and release version. The "lsb_release -ir" commands
5 | seems to provide what we are looking for and works under a number of
6 | popular distributions. I've tested the command using Gentoo 2005.0
7 | text install and the command was not found. Does Gentoo support
8 | "lsb_release -ir" command? If not how can I contact the developers to
9 | request this?
10
11 Not going to happen. We're not going to dignify LSB by adding that kind
12 of nonsense... You can get the current release using:
13
14 cat $(portageq portdir)/metadata/timestamp
15
16 assuming the user isn't running off CVS rather than rsync.
19 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
20 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
21 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm