From: Scott Stoddard <scott@×××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting distribution name and release version
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 18:29:37
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:41:32 -0400 <Frank.Pikelner@××××××××.ca> wrote:
3 > | We are writing remote systems management software for Linux systems
4 > | and are looking for a standard way to obtain a remote systems
5 > | distribution name and release version. The "lsb_release -ir" commands
6 > | seems to provide what we are looking for and works under a number of
7 > | popular distributions. I've tested the command using Gentoo 2005.0
8 > | text install and the command was not found. Does Gentoo support
9 > | "lsb_release -ir" command? If not how can I contact the developers to
10 > | request this?
11 >
12 > Not going to happen. We're not going to dignify LSB by adding that kind
13 > of nonsense... You can get the current release using:
14 >
15 > cat $(portageq portdir)/metadata/timestamp
18 Well that's just craptastic. Now can we just get all of the other
19 distros to define PORTDIR and include portageq as standard? Cause that
20 would be smart.
21
22 Look I'm not at all suggesting that we "dignify LSB" but what the o.p.
23 is suggesting is not at all a bad idea.
24
25 An easy, distro-independent, method for determining what distro,
26 version, release, toolchain versioning, and/or portage timestamp can
27 only help maintainers of heterogenous networks to do their jobs with
28 less frustration.
29
30 Scott.
31 --