From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nsapass - alternative to keepassxc (and others)
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 15:38:10
1 ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
2 On Saturday, August 1, 2020 5:49 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > > > This is not a GUI
5 > >
6 > > xterm is GUI. you don't need to click on gtk/qt
7 > > widgets to access details of password entries.
8 > > gtk/qt is a massive overkill.
9 >
10 > Please check the meaning of " GUI " and try to answer my statement again.
11
12 xterm/urxvt is a gui. it can render images too.
13 e.g. seen ranger?
14
15 but nitpick aside, i know what you want. you want
16 an app that uses gtk or qt libraries, so that you
17 get some buttons to click on with your mouse, and
18 menus and scrollbars to drag around — but why
19 would you seek to do this to yourself? very
20 sadistic.
21
22 if you check the latest version in this dev branch
23 (wip, code will improve next month):
24
25 https://github.com/Al-Caveman/nsapass/tree/space-cephalopod
26
27 you'll find a neat interactive feature and a
28 search feature that allows you to, say, retrieve
29 passwords really fast. e.g. `nsapass get c p`
30 would equate `nsapass get caveman protonmail` (if
31 c p makes it unique).
32
33 > > > This makes portability a problem. Exactly why keepass (and clones) are
34 > > > used more.
35 > >
36 > > compatibility with keepassxc is extremely
37 > > overrated. it's easy to port nsapass to
38 > > windows/apple (may even work out of the box,
39 > > didn't try).
40 >
41 > Compatibility with "keepass" (keepassxc is already a different tool/clone) is
42 > important and makes it simpler to use the same database on different
43 > environments.
44 > You might be happy with a simplistic database that only stores a few
45 > passwords. I tend to deal with passwords that are shared within teams because
46 > the hardware involved only supports a single account. This makes tools like
47 > keepass important.
48
49 curious, any standardized or special hardware that
50 works with keepass? e.g. some kind of dual factor
51 authentication? or maybe USB sticks that give you
52 some physical button to, mechanically, select if
53 the passwords inside should be read? anything
54 else interesting?
55
56 about `few passwords'. i'm also curious why do
57 you think so? e.g. here is a quick test with an
58 outrageously unrealistic test of 1 million key
59 entries in nsapass:
60
61 - 3.9 seconds for scrypt to decrypt the file.
62 for a good reason that makes it more secure
63 than keepass's aes 256-bit enc.
64
65 - 2.6 seconds for python's json to parse the
66 file (parsing 1 mil entries).
67
68 - everything else was instantaneous after that
69 (just a dictionary lookup).
70
71 about your team, not sure about your point. you
72 said that nsapass is simplistic. so i guess this
73 means that keepass offers you something more? or
74 is it just that you have more people already using
75 it and too lazy to migrate?
76
77 > > > Nice, a full detailed list of every single change to your passwords :)
78 > >
79 > > no. how do you backup your passwords file?
80 > > dropbox? flash disk? it's up to you. this is
81 > > unrelated to the passwords manager.
82 >
83 > Actually, the more copies with changes to your passwords there are, the easier
84 > it will be to guess your passwords.
85
86 i never denied this. nothing in nsapass that
87 makes you copy passwords with changes. i don't
88 know where you got this.
89
90 i personally use git to copy my passwords database
91 around, but this -obviously- has nothing to do
92 with nsapass.
93
94 > > > The likes of NSA don't actually care about your (dis)approval.
95 > >
96 > > no one does. not unique to nsa. people
97 > > exaggerate nsa as if they are any better.
98 > > tbh, nsa is even better than most of our
99 > > neighbours. if our phones fall in the hands of
100 > > our neighbours, next day most people will find
101 > > themselves in pornhub. but nsa can get it all,
102 > > and yet they still didn't leak it to pornhub (at
103 > > least not as much).
104 >
105 > No, they leak it to the press and wikileaks.
106
107 leakers like snowden? doesn't media call them
108 ``heros''?
109
110 see, NSA is made of decent people. they either
111 keep our secrets better than our neighbours do,
112 or, when they leak it, they do so for a good cause
113 and become ``heros''.
114
115 i personally trust NSA much better than my trust
116 to my neighbours (no comparision). nothing personal
117 against my neighbours, decent people, but they are
118 less educated than NSA's staff.
119
120 it's just a matter of honesty to state that media's
121 stance against NSA is unfair imo. even though this
122 statement will probably harm the reputation of
123 nsapass as i'm its dev and i'm flirting NSA (not
124 that it matters though).