From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installation problems on AMD64 box
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:44:10
1 On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 10:29, Florian Philipp
2 <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
3 > Iain Buchanan schrieb:
4 >>
5 >> R C Mitchell wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> I use Ubuntu for every day but as my box has a spare 40GB hard disk I
8 >>> decided
9 >>> to have a go at installing Gentoo on it for evaluation
10 >>
11 >> ah, who says Ubuntu isn't good for anything? Good to see you're trying a
12 >> real distribution :) </flame>
13 >>
14 >> Typically now you'd prove me wrong and say how you've been using
15 >> <dieHardLinux> for years... anyhoo welcome!
16 >>
17 >>> [snip excellent problem report]
18 >>
19 >>> I'm reluctant to believe that this is down to an arbitrary hardware
20 >>> fault,
21 >>> since everything else works fine. It does seem to have something to do
22 >>> with
23 >>> emerging gentoo-sources.
24 >>
25 >> hm, this screams hardware fault all over - I haven't seen one issue like
26 >> this come to anything else. Usually it's the RAM. Can you humour me and
27 >> try a stick from another machine, or at least reseat it?
30 > Iain's diagnosis seems about right. I would start with a nice 2h memtest86+
31 > test followed with a 1h cpuburn test.
32
33 I agree. One of my systems NEEDS acpid configured and running else the
34 processor would just thermal shutdown on me (freezing before it,
35 sometimes). I would just try and emerge cpufreq stuff and down the
36 frequency (that, of course, if memtest exclude your ram). I say that
37 because a well configured system will throttle the CPU before
38 overheat, and cpuburn should run on the newly installed Gentoo to be
39 sure.
42 Daniel da Veiga