From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installation problems on AMD64 box
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:29:49
1 Iain Buchanan schrieb:
2 > R C Mitchell wrote:
3 >> I use Ubuntu for every day but as my box has a spare 40GB hard disk I
4 >> decided
5 >> to have a go at installing Gentoo on it for evaluation
6 >
7 > ah, who says Ubuntu isn't good for anything? Good to see you're trying
8 > a real distribution :) </flame>
9 >
10 > Typically now you'd prove me wrong and say how you've been using
11 > <dieHardLinux> for years... anyhoo welcome!
12 >
13 >> [snip excellent problem report]
14 >
15 >> I'm reluctant to believe that this is down to an arbitrary hardware
16 >> fault,
17 >> since everything else works fine. It does seem to have something to
18 >> do with
19 >> emerging gentoo-sources.
20 >
21 > hm, this screams hardware fault all over - I haven't seen one issue like
22 > this come to anything else. Usually it's the RAM. Can you humour me
23 > and try a stick from another machine, or at least reseat it?
26 Iain's diagnosis seems about right. I would start with a nice 2h
27 memtest86+ test followed with a 1h cpuburn test.
28 You could also try to download vanilla kernel sources and try to compile
29 them on Ubuntu. If you experience the same problem, you know it's not
30 Gentoo's fault ;)
31
32 By the way: Can you post some parameters of your system (CPU, age, ...)
33 and tell us, whether you use 64bit or 32bit versions of Ubuntu and Gentoo?