From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is anyone using a TALOS 2 or any OpenPOWER machine?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 22:23:24
1 On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 3:40 PM, Taiidan@×××.com <Taiidan@×××.com> wrote:
2 > I am of curious as to peoples experiences with OpenPOWER machines and gentoo
3 > - is it as simple as using the ppc64 arch iso instead of x86_64?
4 > If anyone uses it for a workstation, what apps do you have? is there
5 > anything normal missing? (ie: that one would have on an x86_64 workstation)
8 I haven't been able to use Gentoo directly, but I have used Linux on
9 Power on GCC's servers. There's nothing terribly abnormal, though
10 there's a lot of interesting FPU modes.
11
12 > I noticed that gentoo only has big endian isos instead of little endian and
13 > I am also wondering what this means for software availability as I have
14 > never heard of endianness before a few months ago.
17 You should use ppc64le. This complicates things when compiling, and is
18 a minor issue for some other compilers, who do not support multilib in
19 a way that makes it possible to build a ppc64le toolchain from a ppc64
20 toolchain. You may need to set up tools on a computer of another
21 architecture, or get prebuilt tools from GCC.
22
23 > Info:
24 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER9 (POWER is now the only high performance
25 > arch that is owner controlled now that AMD has its ME analog PSP)
26 > http://raptorcs.com/ (The T2 is a modified "romulus" reference board made
27 > available to the general public with libre firmware)
30 They are expensive, but one day, if the Lord decides to bless me, I may own one.
31
32 Cheers,
33 R0b0t1