From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A question regarding building Gentoo and UEFI vs Non UEFI
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 10:52:11
1 On Tuesday, 20 November 2018 09:29:42 GMT Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > On 20/11/18 17:16, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 20 Nov 2018 12:51:34 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:
4 > >> I just have this little niggling doubt, probably baseless, in
5 > >>
6 > >> the back of my mind that there maybe something that may cause a problem
7 > >> for the newly built stuff due to it not being natively booted in UEFI or
8 > >> something like that when it was built.
9 > >
10 > > The only issue you're likely to face is setting up booting from the SSD.
11 > > You need to be booted via UEFI to set up UEFI booting, but you can do
12 > > that from your SysResCd stick.
13 >
14 > The SSD is up and running. I get Gentoo booting to a console and I'm
15 > now in the process of getting stuff installed, LibreOffice, Firefox,
16 > Thunderird etc, stuff that takes ages to build. So now that I'm
17 > confident that things will work, I can continue to work, from the old
18 > disk, chroot into the new and continue to install there.
19 >
20 > Thanks,
21 > Andrew
22
23 You can check you have booted with UEFI instead of MBR legacy (emulation) by
24 listing the EFI variables:
25
26 ls -la /sys/firmware/efi/
27
28 If it's empty you have booted in good ol' MBR.
31 Regards,
32 Mick