From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev blocks systemd etc
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 19:47:41
1 > On 27/03/13 at 11:27am, »Q« wrote:
2 > > Eventually, as I understand it, GNOME and KDE will require systemd
3 > > because they want full control of they system. For people not using
4 > > GNOME or KDE, other init systems will still be possible, with either
5 > > udev or a udev alternative. I have no idea how far away "eventually"
6 > > will be.
7 >
8 > GNOME maybe/probably, but regarding KDE what makes you say this ?
9 > I don't recall reading anything about this (this one comes to mind but
10 > its got nothing to do with systemd [1]. The author explains in the
11 > comments why he chose not to use systemd). KDE always prides itself in
12 > being cross platform forcing systemd would be terribly detrimental.
13 >
14 > [1] http://dantti.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/1-2-3-plasma/
15
16 Actually it came up not too long ago that a commit was making Gnome
17 Linux only and I believe it was decided not to be the way to Go.
21
22 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
23 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
24 universal interface'
25
26 (Doug McIlroy)