From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE-4.1.3 + KDE-3.5.9 = messed up KDEDIRS ?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:47:49
1 On Wednesday 12 November 2008 23:11:35 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > why? the FHS is a stupid standard. Why is following stupid standards a good
3 > thing? What next? LSB compliance - because it is great to be broken by
4 > definition?
5
6 Why is FHS stupid? I haven't read it fully since 2006 but at the time it was completely sensible to me. Stuff ends up in predictable sensible places that you can rely on.
7
8 The one thing it did not mention explicitly was funky things like gentoo SLOTs or /usr/kde/
9
10 But, FHS itself already tells you how to do it conceptually: just follow the lead of /usr/local/ and do the exact same thing somwhere else.
11
12 The most impressive part was laying out exactly what kind of things you should expect to find in
13
14 /usr
15 /usr/local
16 /opt