From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE-4.1.3 + KDE-3.5.9 = messed up KDEDIRS ?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:12:43
1 On Mittwoch 12 November 2008, Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
2 > On November 12, 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > > I had something similar on my first try:
4 > > >
5 > > > kde-4 went into /usr
6 > > > kde-3 went into /usr/kde/3.5
7 > > >
8 > > > And bizarre weird errors kept happening. I remerged all of kde-4 with
9 > > > USE="kdeprefix" to put it back into /usr/kde/4.1 and all the weirdness
10 > > > went away
11 > >
12 > > in my opinion installing kde straight into /usr and changing the default
13 > > behaviour is the most stupid thing gentoo devs have done in the last
14 > > couple of years.
15 >
16 > wouldn't call it stupid though. FHS compliance is a good thing (I'm a
17 > sysadmin so I really appreciate when things can be easily located
18 > universaly).
19
20 why? the FHS is a stupid standard. Why is following stupid standards a good
21 thing? What next? LSB compliance - because it is great to be broken by
22 definition?
23
24 > I think what failed is communication on that change. In
25 > developers defense I'd say that we're dealing with ~arch packages here so
26 > we've been warned they'll be somewhat not-so-stable. What I think needs to
27 > happen is gentoo users have to be warned in big red letters everywhere
28 > possible when upgrading from KDE3 to KDE4 to make firm decision whether to
29 > use "kdeprefix" or not.
30 >
31 it would have been better to NOT introduce that kdeprefix flag and instead
32 introducing a FHS flag - which should have been off by default. The current
33 way - kdeprefix to get sane behaviour, that turned off, changing the default
34 behaviour is either stupid or evil.
35
36 > Enforcing proper FS layout is a good thing IMO. Just needs clear
37 > communication before marked as stable :)
38
39 Like making kde update interactive? Require a 'yes, I know about kdeprefix'
40 dialog box?
41 kde has always been in its own directory tree. /opt back in the suse days for
42 example. Elderly kde documentation told people to install kde in its own sub
43 tree - and I loved that. I always hated gnome for cluttering /usr with its
44 garbage. Having a big project like kde in its own tree has a bazillion of
45 advantages.