From: "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmitry@××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE-4.1.3 + KDE-3.5.9 = messed up KDEDIRS ?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:31:29
1 On November 12, 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > > I had something similar on my first try:
3 > >
4 > > kde-4 went into /usr
5 > > kde-3 went into /usr/kde/3.5
6 > >
7 > > And bizarre weird errors kept happening. I remerged all of kde-4 with
8 > > USE="kdeprefix" to put it back into /usr/kde/4.1 and all the weirdness
9 > > went away
10 >
11 > in my opinion installing kde straight into /usr and changing the default
12 > behaviour is the most stupid thing gentoo devs have done in the last couple
13 > of years.
14
15 wouldn't call it stupid though. FHS compliance is a good thing (I'm a sysadmin
16 so I really appreciate when things can be easily located universaly). I think
17 what failed is communication on that change. In developers defense I'd say
18 that we're dealing with ~arch packages here so we've been warned they'll be
19 somewhat not-so-stable. What I think needs to happen is gentoo users have to
20 be warned in big red letters everywhere possible when upgrading from KDE3 to
21 KDE4 to make firm decision whether to use "kdeprefix" or not.
22
23 Enforcing proper FS layout is a good thing IMO. Just needs clear communication
24 before marked as stable :)
27 Dmitry Makovey
28 Web Systems Administrator
29 Athabasca University