From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE-4.1.3 + KDE-3.5.9 = messed up KDEDIRS ?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 21:09:54
1 On Wednesday 12 November 2008 22:31:52 Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
2 > On November 12, 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > > I had something similar on my first try:
4 > > >
5 > > > kde-4 went into /usr
6 > > > kde-3 went into /usr/kde/3.5
7 > > >
8 > > > And bizarre weird errors kept happening. I remerged all of kde-4 with
9 > > > USE="kdeprefix" to put it back into /usr/kde/4.1 and all the weirdness
10 > > > went away
11 > >
12 > > in my opinion installing kde straight into /usr and changing the default
13 > > behaviour is the most stupid thing gentoo devs have done in the last
14 > > couple of years.
15 >
16 > wouldn't call it stupid though. FHS compliance is a good thing (I'm a
17 > sysadmin so I really appreciate when things can be easily located
18 > universaly). I think what failed is communication on that change. In
19 > developers defense I'd say that we're dealing with ~arch packages here so
20 > we've been warned they'll be somewhat not-so-stable. What I think needs to
21 > happen is gentoo users have to be warned in big red letters everywhere
22 > possible when upgrading from KDE3 to KDE4 to make firm decision whether to
23 > use "kdeprefix" or not.
24 >
25 > Enforcing proper FS layout is a good thing IMO. Just needs clear
26 > communication before marked as stable :)
27
28 Essentially what we have with this (the five miles out view) is that portage
29 considers there is a SLOT and the rest of the system does not. So as far as
30 every other utility on the box is concerned (including KDE-3), the kde-3 SLOT
31 simply does not exist, regardless of how nicely portage take care to put
32 stuff in it's own little SLOT. You cannot possibly take /usr out of the
33 various *PATH dirs, and whereas a funky env script might make kde-3 work, it
34 certainly will not work in any other environment.
35
36 You either have every version of a SLOT package in a SLOT or you do not. So, I
37 like the idea of a non-SLOTted kde-4, but the devs really need to make the
38 rules clear. It all boils down to these two:
39
40 If you have kde-3 on the same system, you SHALL set USE="kdeprefix"
41 If you do not have kde-3 on the system you SHALL NOT set USE="kdeprefix"
42
43 To hell with choice in this regard. These are the rules that make stuff work.
44 There is no choice.
47 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com