From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Mutt vs Fetchmail problem
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 07:22:34
1 I've been a happy user of Mutt for 25 years , helped by Fetchmail.
2 Today -- in the midst of moving my home, of all times --
3 I realised that something had gone wrong & I wasn't receiving mail :
4 e-mails were going out, but nothing was coming back.
5
6 I tried the Mutt 'G' command, which replied :
7 "STLS: Mate, the command must be CAPA USER PASS QUIT ; no encryption".
8 Of course, that wouldn't do, as it has to send out my password.
9
10 I had rebooted on Friday after 28 days , so something must have changed.
11 In fact, I had updated to 'openssl-1.1.1j' during that time,
12 so I reverted to 'openssl-1.1.1i', remerged Mutt & rebooted. No change.
13 Mutt version is 2.0.4-r1 , originally merged in 2020 ;
14 Fetchmail is 6.4.8 ; '.fetchmailrc' says "sslproto '' options stripcr",
15 which has been working properly for a long time.
16
17 Looking in 'man fetchmail', I found an instruction for testing it,
18 which suggested all I had to do was try entering 'fetchmail'.
19 Yes, that downloaded all the stalled msgs !
20
21 So Fetchmail itself is working, but when Mutt calls it, something goes wrong.
22 Can anyone offer a suggestion what that might be ?
26 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
27 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
28 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca