From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerging with distcc: What's taking so long?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 01:30:29
1 Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 09:48:42PM +0100, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
4 >
5 > > P.S.: distccmon is a good tool to watch the compilation processes.
6 >
7 > I never got it to display anything. I just tried it again: synced
8 > portage and ran a world update -- 16 Packages, among them
9 > kdevplatform, a lengthy Qt package (which by the way is one of those
10 > who benefit greatly from compression if distcc’ed over a slow
11 > network).
12 >
13 > At no time during building did I see any activity in distccmon-gui. I
14 > started it on both client and server and as my own user as well as
15 > root. Nada. Can you give a suggestion? Thanks.
16
17 It's a long time ago and I can't remember any problems or difficulties
18 with distccmon. IIRC I run it on the client and I used the gui as well
19 as the text version.
20
21 I don't remember wich UID I used for distccmon. Maybe it is necessary
22 to run it as user portage.
23
24 I would like to test it, but I don't have a second linux host that I
25 could use for a test. Only some xubuntu qemu VMs that are installed
26 on my gentoo box. And I don't know if these are working with distcc
27 and a gentoo host without problems.
28
29 And as I'm down with a ugly cold, I don't have enough power to build
30 up a test environment with some old hardware or struggle with bitchy
31 VMs.
34 Regards
35 wabe