From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox + gentoo scrolling like a snail
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 17:09:54
1 On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On Saturday 26 June 2010 17:44:42 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > It's weird.
5 > >
6 > > Sometimes, but not always, when I click in the Firefox scrollbar, it
7 > starts
8 > > heading in the right direction in fits and starts of 5 pixels or so until
9 > > it (finallly) reaches the end. I've mostly observed this in the downward
10 > > direction, but I mostly scroll in that direction anyway so it might not
11 > > mean anything.
12 > >
13 > > What's wrong about this is that a single click should not do this, and
14 > does
15 > > not do this, on any other scrollbar on my machine. A single click moves
16 > > the "thumb" thingie a fixed amount which depends on where you click. The
17 > > worst part is that the application won't do anything else until the
18 > > scrolling is finished, and the scrolling for a very tall page can take a
19 > > couple of minutes.
20 > >
21 > > I keep trying to remember that dragging the "thumb" still works as
22 > > expected, but clicking is an old habit that's hard to drop.
23 > >
24 > > Am I the only one seeing this?
25 >
26 > I don't see that. What settings do you have for scrolling?
27 >
28 > Firefox config dialog -> Advanced -> General
32 Firefox-3.6.3 -> Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General checked: -
33 Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages
34 - Use autoscrolling
35 - Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup
36
37 I guess both of the first two are suspects, but AFAICR I've never touched
38 these.
41 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD