From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: DMZ on an vmware gentoo guest running on winXP host
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 20:58:15
1 Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 > reader@×××××××.com wrote:
4 >> I mean if
5 >> you connect it to any machine in the diagram or elsewhere wouldn't you
6 >> be exposing that machine to the unfiltered internet?
7 >
8 > I think that's the idea here - to see the difference between the two
9 > sides of the router.
10
11 If that is the case then I guess I don't see how the quote below
12 applies. From Mick in his initial reply:
13
14 > A rather simpler solution to do this would be to get hold of hub,
15 > connect it to the firewall and watch everything that passes through
16 > it.
17
18 I relize you are not who made the reply I quote above but:
19
20 If you still have to come up with a hardened interface to the hub then
21 how is it simpler?
22
23 Further, since the router is switched then you'd really need two hubs.
24 One on each side, if the aim were to compare what is coming and what is
25 getting thru. So we're getting further and futher away from `rather
26 simpler'
27
28 Come up with the hardened interface and forget the hub[s]. As I said
29 my router offers to send all the bounced traffic to a designated DMZ.
30
31 I am probably not interested enough right now to build up a whole
32 different machine to talk to the hub or be the DMZ. So if you are
33 pretty convinced doing it from a VMgentoo appliance running on one of
34 the win boxes then I'll probably just keep fiddling around with the
35 logs produced by the router.
36 ... Thanks
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list