From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: DMZ on an vmware gentoo guest running on winXP host
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:40:26
1 On Saturday 15 December 2007, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com> writes:
3 > > reader@×××××××.com wrote:
4 > >> I mean if
5 > >> you connect it to any machine in the diagram or elsewhere wouldn't you
6 > >> be exposing that machine to the unfiltered internet?
7 > >
8 > > I think that's the idea here - to see the difference between the two
9 > > sides of the router.
10 >
11 > If that is the case then I guess I don't see how the quote below
12 > applies. From Mick in his initial reply:
13 > > A rather simpler solution to do this would be to get hold of hub,
14 > > connect it to the firewall and watch everything that passes through
15 > > it.
16
17 Your network diagram in the previous post is exactly what I was thinking and
18 proposing. What you are not showing is the link from your gentoo box to the
19 hub. Then you capture that packets that flow through with a suitable
20 application. Have a look at the penultimate diagram at the bottom of this
21 page:
22
23 http://www.mynetwatchman.com/pckidiot/ethernet.htm
24
25 > I relize you are not who made the reply I quote above but:
26 >
27 > If you still have to come up with a hardened interface to the hub then
28 > how is it simpler?
29
30 I am not totally convince that a 'particularly' hardened interface is
31 necessary. A second NIC with suitable firewall rules, or a virtual NIC on
32 ntop should suffice for you to capture the packets flowing through the hub
33 into a log file. You could even go as far as creating VLANs to seperate the
34 two, but I am not sure that this is necessary. I mean it is not as if you
35 are going to create a bridge between a trusted interface and this hub facing
36 interface, right? Of course you would not be running e.g. tcpdump as root in
37 real time so the risk of exposure (as I understand it in this context) is
38 minimal, but others may want to comment. nprobe or fprobe could capture the
39 packets both on the Gentoo machine and on a WinXP machine and save them on
40 file(s), and/or send them to ntop as NetFlow . Perhaps others can comment
41 further on similar suitable software and ways to set all this up.
42
43 > Further, since the router is switched then you'd really need two hubs.
44 > One on each side, if the aim were to compare what is coming and what is
45 > getting thru. So we're getting further and futher away from `rather
46 > simpler'
47
48 Sure, you can add a second hub and so increase complexity, or use nprobe or
49 the log files of the machines on the LAN side to see what actually gets
50 through. I am not sure if you want to run this long term and automate all of
51 this capture and reporting into graphical formats (e.g. using rddtool), set
52 up a dedicated machine just for this purpose, or if you just want to test
53 particular connections in an ad hoc fashion to see why/how particular
54 connections behave.
55
56 > Come up with the hardened interface and forget the hub[s]. As I said
57 > my router offers to send all the bounced traffic to a designated DMZ.
58 >
59 > I am probably not interested enough right now to build up a whole
60 > different machine to talk to the hub or be the DMZ. So if you are
61 > pretty convinced doing it from a VMgentoo appliance running on one of
62 > the win boxes then I'll probably just keep fiddling around with the
63 > logs produced by the router.
64 > ... Thanks
65
66 I just saw the installation of vmware and the generation of a virtual image as
67 more involved than what I suggest above. Using the raw logs from the router
68 and filtering/sorting these through a spreadsheet would probably make them
69 easier to read. Anyway, what ever works better/easier for you.
70 --
71 Regards,
72 Mick