From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: DMZ on an vmware gentoo guest running on winXP host
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 00:25:56
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > I just saw the installation of vmware and the generation of a virtual image as
4 > more involved than what I suggest above. Using the raw logs from the router
5 > and filtering/sorting these through a spreadsheet would probably make them
6 > easier to read. Anyway, what ever works better/easier for you.
7
8 Thanks for your input... very usefull.
9 And you are probably right about
10 'installation of vmware and the generation of a virtual image' being
11 more trouble. (If it had to be done from scratch)
12
13 I wouldn't be doing it from scratch since I have a vmware setup with a
14 gentoo application running on one of the winXP boxes already, so that
15 kind of `colored' my notion of what would be more trouble I
16 guess. hehe.
17
18 I left out the connections from hub to a machine illustrating the fact
19 that it had to be done somewhere and whereever it was it would need
20 some kind of protection.
21
22 As I mentioned in OP, my gentoo box is pretty freewheeling ... don't
23 use a firewall at all, the firewall is on the router/switch/firewall.
24 Which is easy to configure and nearly maintenance free. Makes no
25 noise and takes very little space.
26
27 In my experience IPTABLES in the hands of a novice is no where near
28 maintenance free and not so easy either. Much more likely to shoot
29 yourself in the foot. I went to a store-bought firewall some yrs ago
30 exactly from having unending troubles getting my own working.
31
32 So I didn't see how installing a second NIC, and accompanying
33 firewall would really be any different than just chucking the hub and
34 letting the second nic connect in that position. But I'm not very
35 knowledgable here so maybe that isn't really an option, or a bad one.
36
37 And either one seemed more involved than doing something from an
38 existing vmware on a winXP or just suffering along with clunky logs.
39 Or whatever scripting I could muster to pull info out of them
40 quickly.
41
42 [...]
43
44 > real time so the risk of exposure (as I understand it in this context) is
45 > minimal, but others may want to comment.
46
47 I hope they do. I'd be interested.
48
49 [...] snipped other helpful info
50
51 Thanks for the info and the names of some of the tools involved.
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list