From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Will ARM take over the world?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:07:27
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > > 68k -> POWER
5 > > > POWER -> Intel
6 > > > Intel -> ARM
7
8 Ah, you've made progress!
9
10 > the 6502 doesn't count
11
12 Alan, one of the keenest reasons ARM is dominating
13 NOW, is that in the early 1990 one person, helped
14 many fledling embedded linux hacks get embedded
15 linux running on many different flavors of ARM
16 processors.
17
18 RUSSELL is KING, and imho is the predominant
19 reason today, a decade later, that ARM dominates
20 the embedded space. Just look at the vintage
21 embedded linux ports to hundreds of boards that
22 mostly impoverished little companies built
23 and ONE MAN stood in the gap for them all to
24 realize their dreams:
25
26 http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/
27
28 Intel and the rest wanted everyone to purchase expensive
29 dev board, licensed embedded RTOSes, and binaries
30 for most add on hardware. A prospect that precluded
31 the little companies from fair competition.
32
33 RUSSELL KING should be wealthy and on the Board
34 of directors for ARM ltd. for his unselfish
35 and heroic efforts! More than anyone else, he
36 made arm-linux a doable for thousands of companies
37 back when the embedded world did not think much
38 of linux nor embedded linux. (I know I hacked on a
39 few of those old projects)....
40
41 Intel has nothing but a bunch of blood sucking
42 lawyers and assholes that think they are better
43 than the rest of us; and they shall fall!
44
45 From the Bible: "You reap what you sow"...
46 My most sincerest hope is that we take the embedded
47 gentoo efforts from the the embedded gentoo handbook,
48 and integrate them into the regular Gentoo handbook.
49 The distro that does this will be king of the distros!
50
51 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/
52
53 peace,