From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Will ARM take over the world?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 00:35:37
1 On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 05:05:30PM +0000, James wrote
2
3 > My most sincerest hope is that we take the embedded
4 > gentoo efforts from the the embedded gentoo handbook,
5 > and integrate them into the regular Gentoo handbook.
6 > The distro that does this will be king of the distros!
7 >
8 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/
9
10 Problems with using embedded kernels as a base...
11
12 * they use uclibc, which has some APIs that differ from glibc. This
13 could break Flash, proprietary video driver binary blobs, and who
14 knows what else.
15
16 * they generally use busybox symlinks in place of most core utils. The
17 busybox versions don't always exactly match the standalone versions.
18 You would have to tweak quite a few scripts to fix that.
19
20 Alpine Linux is based on uclibc and busybox (including mdev). From
21 http://wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/Alpine_Linux:Overview
22
23 > Note: As the About page says, Alpine is "designed for x86 Routers,
24 > Firewalls, VPNs, VoIP and servers." But it's a perfectly workable
25 > desktop system, too. The shortcomings just have to do with the small
26 > community, and that sometimes you may need to get your hands dirty
27 > modifying scripts written with more mainstream desktop distros in
28 > mind. So you probably won't want to use Alpine if you're a newcomer
29 > to Linux. If you're already comfortable with another distro, though,
30 > especially a power-user, less-hand-holding distro like ArchLinux or
31 > Gentoo, you should do fine.
32
33 It would be interesting to see a "micro" port of Gentoo. But you can
34 forget about bringing over KDE-OS, GNOME-OS, or CHROME-OS. If/when
35 gnash is finally ready, or HTML replaces Flash, I could see Gentoo
36 running with ICEWM or a lightweight desktop like XFCE or LXDE.
39 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
40 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications