From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Will ARM take over the world?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 01:01:37
1 > Problems with using embedded kernels as a base...
2 >
3 > * they use uclibc, which has some APIs that differ from glibc. This
4 > could break Flash, proprietary video driver binary blobs, and who
5 > knows what else.
6 >
7 > * they generally use busybox symlinks in place of most core utils. The
8 > busybox versions don't always exactly match the standalone versions.
9 > You would have to tweak quite a few scripts to fix that.
10
11 When you say embedded kernels you may mean something I'm not familiar with,
12 but I use a patched vanilla kernel with Gentoo on the Beaglebone and it
13 works great. No uclibc and no busybox.
14
15 > It would be interesting to see a "micro" port of Gentoo. But you can
16 > forget about bringing over KDE-OS, GNOME-OS, or CHROME-OS. If/when
17 > gnash is finally ready, or HTML replaces Flash, I could see Gentoo
18 > running with ICEWM or a lightweight desktop like XFCE or LXDE.
19
20 I don't think that's right. I have a Pandaboard ES with a dual-core 1.2Ghz
21 CPU and 1GB RAM and I bet it would run Gnome just fine. Again, maybe
22 you're referring to something here that I'm not familiar with.
23
24 - Grant