From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which motherboard ?
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 19:13:02
1 On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Friday 17 December 2010 22:52:30 Jacques Montier wrote:
4 >> Le 17/12/2010 21:45, Dale a gentiment tapote:
5 >>
6 >> --
7 >> Jacques
8 >> Site web <https://sites.google.com/site/jacquesfr35/>
9 >>
10 >> > Mark Knecht wrote:
11 >> >> I have no real opinion on that MB. I've never owned a Gigabyte so I
12 >> >> don't have a real point of reference. I know other people here use
13 >> >> them so I suspect they are fine.
14 >> >>
15 >> >> I personally like the Asus brand for flashing BIOS as it can be done
16 >> >> from a USB stick. If Gigabyte supports anything like that (i.e. -
17 >> >> doesn't require Windows or DOS or a floppy to flash BIOS) then it's
18 >> >> probably a good candidate.
19 >> >>
20 >> >> Asus support isn't great. Their websites are slow and everyone seems
21 >> >> to complain about lack of communication when they have problems.
22 >> >> Again, I don't know anything about Gigabyte on that account.
23 >> >>
24 >> >> Good luck.
25 >> >>
26 >> >> - Mark
27 >> >
28 >> > I recently bought a Gigabyte mobo and it has Q-Flash.  It will update
29 >> > the BIOS without needing a OS.   According to the book, you just
30 >> > download the update and put it on a USB stick, must be FAT32/16/12,
31 >> > and hit the end key when the BIOS screen comes up.  It sounds pretty
32 >> > easy.  I have not done this yet tho.
33 >> >
34 >> > Hope that helps.
35 >> >
36 >> > Dale
37 >> >
38 >> > :-)  :-)
39 >>
40 >> Thank you  Dale,
41 >>
42 >> The Asus P6X58D-E motherboard seems ready for USB-3.0
43 >> Does Linux support USB-3.0 technology ?
44 >
45 > linux was the first OS to have usb3 drivers.
46 >
47 > I own an Asus and it is crap. Which might be bad luck. But from all I read
48 > over the web and all the experiences in my social circles point to Gigabyte
49 > boards as the most stable, troubleless boards at the moment, while Asus'
50 > quality went down a lot.
51
52 I agree that from reading these lists most people who buy Gigabyte
53 seem to report being happy.
54
55 It's strange about Asus. I read all this negative stuff on lists about
56 people having trouble with Asus motherboards. However I've used them
57 for years, having bought at least 10-12 different motherboard models
58 in the last 15 years, and every one of them has worked great. They are
59 still my #1 brand.
60
61 I purchased 3 Intel MBs in 2010 and they have all worked fine also.
62
63 Cheers,
64 Mark