From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which motherboard ?
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 18:56:44
1 On Friday 17 December 2010 22:52:30 Jacques Montier wrote:
2 > Le 17/12/2010 21:45, Dale a gentiment tapote:
3 >
4 > --
5 > Jacques
6 > Site web <https://sites.google.com/site/jacquesfr35/>
7 >
8 > > Mark Knecht wrote:
9 > >> I have no real opinion on that MB. I've never owned a Gigabyte so I
10 > >> don't have a real point of reference. I know other people here use
11 > >> them so I suspect they are fine.
12 > >>
13 > >> I personally like the Asus brand for flashing BIOS as it can be done
14 > >> from a USB stick. If Gigabyte supports anything like that (i.e. -
15 > >> doesn't require Windows or DOS or a floppy to flash BIOS) then it's
16 > >> probably a good candidate.
17 > >>
18 > >> Asus support isn't great. Their websites are slow and everyone seems
19 > >> to complain about lack of communication when they have problems.
20 > >> Again, I don't know anything about Gigabyte on that account.
21 > >>
22 > >> Good luck.
23 > >>
24 > >> - Mark
25 > >
26 > > I recently bought a Gigabyte mobo and it has Q-Flash. It will update
27 > > the BIOS without needing a OS. According to the book, you just
28 > > download the update and put it on a USB stick, must be FAT32/16/12,
29 > > and hit the end key when the BIOS screen comes up. It sounds pretty
30 > > easy. I have not done this yet tho.
31 > >
32 > > Hope that helps.
33 > >
34 > > Dale
35 > >
36 > > :-) :-)
37 >
38 > Thank you Dale,
39 >
40 > The Asus P6X58D-E motherboard seems ready for USB-3.0
41 > Does Linux support USB-3.0 technology ?
42
43 linux was the first OS to have usb3 drivers.
44
45 I own an Asus and it is crap. Which might be bad luck. But from all I read
46 over the web and all the experiences in my social circles point to Gigabyte
47 boards as the most stable, troubleless boards at the moment, while Asus'
48 quality went down a lot.