From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beautifying goot and halt process
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 02:34:00
1 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> [10-07-08 04:24]:
2 > On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 03:04:53AM +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote
3 >
4 > > Is there any way to switch a flatscreen to console
5 > > without this "color explosions" ?
6 >
7 > > Thanks a lot in advance for any help!
8 >
9 > The command you want is "chvt". E.g...
10 >
11 > chvt 1
12 >
13 > ...will change you over to text console 1, just like the {CTRL-ALT-F1}
14 > key combo. You may want to try "chvt 12" (equivalant to {CTRL-ALT-F12}
15 > if you want to see logging while the shutdown is in progress. I don't
16 > know what desktop or window manager you use, but if it has a shutdown
17 > script you can include "chvt 12" (without the quotes) in it. Another
18 > option is to put it in /etc/conf.d/local.stop but be careful when doing
19 > etc-update that it doesn't get overwritten by the default empty file.
20 >
21 > --
22 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
23
24 Hi Walter,
25
26 thanks a lot for your reply :)
27
28 I tried chvt 1 by hand and it generates the same "color flash" as
29 the automatic switch to the console while shutting down my box.
30
31 I think, switching to the console as such isnt the problem here as it works.
32 The problem is the switching process itsself. "To switch" generates
33 that flickering colors.
34 May be turning off brightness, switching and turning on brightness
35 /may/ help...but how?
36
37 Best regards,
38 mcc