From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] local file containing a web site
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 05:56:24
1 allan gottlieb wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 10 2017, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> allan gottlieb wrote:
5 >>> I was interviewed and the material was put on a website
6 >>> (news.mit.edu/2017/reflections-puzzle-keeper-allan-gottlieb-0608).
7 >>>
8 >>> For someone to view this they need that
9 >>> 1. They are on the net.
10 >>> 2. MIT has not removed it.
11 >>>
12 >>> I would like to produce a file containing what is seen when viewing that
13 >>> web page (it brings in other pages). A pdf would be good, but others
14 >>> would be OK.
15 >>>
16 >>> The goal is to be able to put this on a flash drive and be able to view
17 >>> in without net access.
18 >>>
19 >>> Thanks
20 >>> allan
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >> I run up on things I want to save that way too. Sometimes I run up on a
24 >> garden, electronics or other site that I want to save a few pages from.
25 >> After all, some things do disappear sometimes for unknown reasons. I
26 >> use Seamonkey but I'm pretty sure Firefox has this, Palemoon likely does
27 >> too. I use the print function but instead of printing to a printer, I
28 >> select file and PDF. Sometimes it doesn't work right but quite often,
29 >> it works without any problems.
30 >>
31 >> Another thing I do, if the above doesn't work, copy what I want, open
32 >> Libreoffice, OOo or whatever and paste it in there. Sometimes I have to
33 >> select to do it as html code. Generally, it just pastes right in,
34 >> images and all. After that, I save it as a PDF file after doing any
35 >> tweaking I want to do, making letters larger etc etc. I like larger
36 >> print since I'm getting older. :/
37 >>
38 >> I did the first step above here. I'll send it off list. It's small but
39 >> some may not want attachments sent to the list. Hope that helps.
40 >>
41 >> Dale
42 >>
43 >> :-) :-)
44 > Thank. You are right of course the print-to-file is the correct
45 > command. Sorry I was so dense.
46 >
47 > allan
51 There are times when that doesn't work well. Either a page is full of
52 ads, images or worthless text and what could be done in two pages takes
53 4 or 5. Sometimes one can highlight the good parts and then print the
54 selection to file but sometimes, even that doesn't work. On those
55 occasions, I highlight, copy and then paste it in OOo or similar. Then
56 edit out what I don't want, copy and paste anything extra and print/save
57 that as a PDF file. Always check the file before closing anything too.
58 Some pages may look OK on the screen but when saved/printed, they don't
59 turn out right. Sort of rare but a pain when it happens.
60
61 Sometimes what sounds so simple when read, isn't so simple to figure
62 out. I've been known to sit here a while trying to figure out a way
63 around a problem like this. Some sites try to make it hard to do
64 anything like this since they want you to come back dozens of times and
65 they get ad revenues each time. Just like the past few months.
66 There's a bug that eats my squash and cucumbers. I searched for years
67 to find out what it was and how to control/kill it. I found the thing
68 last year. Now, I can't recall what it was to save my life. It's in my
69 head but its lost in there somewhere. May be mixed in with one of the
70 encrypted emerge errors we get from time to time. lol
71
72 Glad to help and if the first way doesn't work, you can always refer
73 back and try another method. ;-)
74
75 Dale
76
78
79 P. S. It's interesting to find out a tidbit about people on this
80 mailing list. Sometimes, real interesting.