From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] local file containing a web site
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 18:01:17
1 On Tue, Jun 13 2017, Dale wrote:
2
3 > allan gottlieb wrote:
4 >> On Sat, Jun 10 2017, Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> allan gottlieb wrote:
7 >>>> I was interviewed and the material was put on a website
8 >>>> (news.mit.edu/2017/reflections-puzzle-keeper-allan-gottlieb-0608).
9 >>>>
10 >>>> For someone to view this they need that
11 >>>> 1. They are on the net.
12 >>>> 2. MIT has not removed it.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> I would like to produce a file containing what is seen when viewing that
15 >>>> web page (it brings in other pages). A pdf would be good, but others
16 >>>> would be OK.
17 >>>>
18 >>>> The goal is to be able to put this on a flash drive and be able to view
19 >>>> in without net access.
20 >>>>
21 >>>> Thanks
22 >>>> allan
23 >>>>
24 >>>>
25 >>> I run up on things I want to save that way too. Sometimes I run up on a
26 >>> garden, electronics or other site that I want to save a few pages from.
27 >>> After all, some things do disappear sometimes for unknown reasons. I
28 >>> use Seamonkey but I'm pretty sure Firefox has this, Palemoon likely does
29 >>> too. I use the print function but instead of printing to a printer, I
30 >>> select file and PDF. Sometimes it doesn't work right but quite often,
31 >>> it works without any problems.
32 >>>
33 >>> Another thing I do, if the above doesn't work, copy what I want, open
34 >>> Libreoffice, OOo or whatever and paste it in there. Sometimes I have to
35 >>> select to do it as html code. Generally, it just pastes right in,
36 >>> images and all. After that, I save it as a PDF file after doing any
37 >>> tweaking I want to do, making letters larger etc etc. I like larger
38 >>> print since I'm getting older. :/
39 >>>
40 >>> I did the first step above here. I'll send it off list. It's small but
41 >>> some may not want attachments sent to the list. Hope that helps.
42 >>>
43 >>> Dale
44 >>>
45 >>> :-) :-)
46 >> Thank. You are right of course the print-to-file is the correct
47 >> command. Sorry I was so dense.
48 >>
49 >> allan
53 > There are times when that doesn't work well. Either a page is full of
54 > ads, images or worthless text and what could be done in two pages takes
55 > 4 or 5. Sometimes one can highlight the good parts and then print the
56 > selection to file but sometimes, even that doesn't work. On those
57 > occasions, I highlight, copy and then paste it in OOo or similar. Then
58 > edit out what I don't want, copy and paste anything extra and print/save
59 > that as a PDF file. Always check the file before closing anything too.
60 > Some pages may look OK on the screen but when saved/printed, they don't
61 > turn out right. Sort of rare but a pain when it happens.
62 >
63 > Sometimes what sounds so simple when read, isn't so simple to figure
64 > out. I've been known to sit here a while trying to figure out a way
65 > around a problem like this. Some sites try to make it hard to do
66 > anything like this since they want you to come back dozens of times and
67 > they get ad revenues each time. Just like the past few months.
68 > There's a bug that eats my squash and cucumbers. I searched for years
69 > to find out what it was and how to control/kill it. I found the thing
70 > last year. Now, I can't recall what it was to save my life. It's in my
71 > head but its lost in there somewhere. May be mixed in with one of the
72 > encrypted emerge errors we get from time to time. lol
73 >
74 > Glad to help and if the first way doesn't work, you can always refer
75 > back and try another method. ;-)
76 >
77 > Dale
78
79 This time it did work fine. Again thanks.
80
82 >
83 > P. S. It's interesting to find out a tidbit about people on this
84 > mailing list. Sometimes, real interesting.
85
86 Glad you enjoyed it.
87 allan