From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Intel NUC install -- no display on OLED TV
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 15:54:40
1 On 06/09/2014 17:00, Grant wrote:
2 >>> I read about outdated BIOS-versions and the need/fix to connect
3 >>> something via DisplayPort and enter BIOS once ... to "reset" things or
4 >>> something.
5 >>>
6 >>> I don't have such a box ... just echoing something I read (as I play
7 >>> with the thought to buy a Intel NUC-Kit D34010WYK for use as a
8 >>> mythtv-frontend).
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> Going off topic a bit, but I recently bought a DN2820FYKH (Celeron
12 >> model) and it works beautifully with mythtv. Compiling is a litter
13 >> slower due to the processor, but it works well with its built-in IR.
14 >> Very happy with it. I have everything working including HDMI audio
15 >> passthrough. Best ~$250 I spent to date (NUC, RAM, SSD.)
18 > The coolest thing about the Gigabyte 2807 is that it's fanless. I
19 > don't need wireless so I'll replace it with one of these mini-PCIe
20 > 128GB storage devices:
21 >
22 > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KWEA88
23 >
24 > I do wish it had built-in IR. I'm planning to go with xbmc instead of
25 > mythtv. Compiling kernel now....
28 FWIW, I built my HTPC around an Xtreamer Ultra2:
29
30 http://www.xtreamer.net/ultra/
31
32 I don't think it's for sale any more, but it's the class of device
33 that's important here. It's basically a small motherboard with regular
34 CPU/GPU/RAM etc all built into a small, neat and aesthetically pleasing
35 case. Price is about the same as netops and Zotac square boxes that
36 mount to a monitor with VESA brackets. They are also about 4x the price
37 of basic ARM-based boxes billed as "suitable for HTPCs" (I looked at
38 those and found them all underpowered and not totally suitable after
39 all, mostly due to lack of peripherals).
40
41 The Ultra2 has a regular familiar Nvidia GPU, none of this ancient
42 crappy Intel-paulsbo nonsense that just.does.not.work. Performance is
43 more than adequate, it ships with a 32G SSD and has a slot for a 2.5"
44 SATA drive. I don't use that (my media is on back-end file server
45 accessed with NFS) but one of these days I'll add a drive and dual boot
46 Windows for the kids and their games. It also has 1G wired ethernet,
47 802.11n wireless, IR receiver, and 6 USB slots (several are 3.0 I forget
48 how many)
49
50 In short, I got the best possible bang for buck with this and many
51 annoying facets of trying to use inadequate hardware just went away. The
52 second best decision was ditching a roll-it-myself OS and all the
53 tinkering that involves. Just run OpenElec - a 140M image with the
54 latest and greatest XBMC, plus everything else needed kept current.
55 Flash it to the pc just like your modem firmware, add content, sit back,
56 enjoy. Updates are faster than you can manage yourself :-)
60 Alan McKinnon
61 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com