From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 19:56:57
1 On 10/26/2014 03:47 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 26.10.2014 um 20:09 schrieb Alexander Kapshuk:
3 >> I've been using gentoo-sources for a while now.
4 >>
5 >> I remember reading on this list about some users using alternative
6 >> kernels on their gentoo systems. My understanding is that amongst some
7 >> of the other alternatives, besides the genkernel, which I'm not
8 >> interested in using, are vanilla-sources available in the portage
9 >> tree, and the sources available on kernel.org.
10 >> I'd appreciate being given some pointers on how the folk here maintain
11 >> their alternative kernels.
12 >>
13 >> Thanks.
14 >>
15 >> .
16 >>
17 > I let portage update the vanilla-sources and once in a while a build and
18 > install a new kernel. At the moment I am on 3.12.23. Maybe I install
19 > 3.12.30 tonight. If I find a good reason to do so.
20 >
21 What happens when you run `emerge --depclean`?
22
23 I always un-keyword the exact version of vanilla-sources that I'm
24 running since I update and depclean on a weekly basis. I'm not a huge
25 fan of having a bunch of kernels under /usr/src/linux-* but only having
26 a couple of them compiled, but to each his own I guess.
27
28 Alec