From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox profile uses 100% CPU
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 00:30:30
1 On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 01:56:28PM -0700, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote
2
3 > I do agree, but I'm looking for a way to fix it. What file should I
4 > delete from Firefox profile. I just want to retain bookmarks, passwords
5 > etc.
6
7 Do *NOT* delete any files just see. I would suggest the following
8 course of action...
9
10 * Do not start any of the profiles unless the instructions say to
11 * Create 2 new profiles; call them "salvage1" and salvage2"
12 ***IMPORTANT*** If copying any specific file to "salvage1" screws up
13 that profile, do ***NOT*** copy it to "salvage2".
14 * Copy the "places.sqlite" file from the bad profile over top of the
15 "places.sqlite" file in the "salvage1" profile
16 * Start up the "salvage1" profile. Try surfing for a few minutes. If
17 it works, close "salvage1" and copy "places.sqlite" to the same place
18 in the "salvage2" profile, and skip "Restoring bookmarks from backups".
19
20 "Restoring bookmarks from backups" (ONLY IF places.sqlite IS DAMAGED)
21 =====================================================================
22 * Copy all the files from the "bookmarksbackup" folder in the bad
23 profile to the "bookmarksbackup" folder in the "salvage1" profile.
24 * Start up the "salvage1" profile. Select...
25 Bookmarks ==> Manage Bookmarks
26 From the Bookmarks Manager select...
27 Tools ==> Restore
28 ...and select a backup. Obviously, the more recent the better. If
29 this works, close the browser ("salvage1") and repeat with the
30 "salvage2" profile.
31 =====================================================================
32
33 There are several more items...
34 https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data
35
36 Passwords are stored in the key3.db and logins.json files.
37
38 Site-specific preferences are stored in the permissions.sqlite and
39 content-prefs.sqlite files.
40
41 Search engines are stored in the search.sqlite file and searchplugins
42 folder.
43
44 Personal dictionary is stored in persdict.dat
45
46 etc, etc. I know that it's painfull, but...
47
48 1) Make sure "salvage1" and "salvage2" are both shut down.
49 2) Copy over *ONE* file listed on the above webpage at a time to the
50 "salvage1" profile, and launch "salvage1" and try it out.
51 3) If it works, shut down "salvage1", and copy the same file over to
52 the "salvage2" profile. If "salvage1" dies, you've found a culprit.
53 Copy the file of the same name from the "salvage2" profile to the
54 "salvage1" profile.
55 4) GOTO 1 (i.e. "rinse, lather, repeat") and repeat for every file
56 listed on the webpage I pointed to. There may be more than 1
57 corrupted file
58
59 After you're finished, you can go to
60
61 Tools ==> Switch Profile ==> Manage Profiles
62
63 There, you can rename or delete the old profile, and rename "salvage1"
64 to the name of your old profile. Note that this will only affect the
65 name that it is invoked with by the "-P" option. It will not change the
66 directory name.
69 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
70 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications