From: YUE Daian <sheepduke@×××××.com>
To: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ntp-client slows down the boot process
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 15:30:19
1 On 2019-07-26 15:55, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Friday, 26 July 2019 15:23:11 BST YUE Daian wrote:
3 >> On 2019-07-26 09:30, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >> > On Friday, 26 July 2019 05:36:29 BST YUE Daian wrote:
5 >> >> Hi folks,
6 >> >>
7 >> >> I use ntp-client to synchronize the date/time of my Gentoo system.
8 >> >>
9 >> >> I added it to the default boot level (OpenRC), however it seriously
10 >> >> slows down the boot process (around 10 seconds or so).
11 >> >>
12 >> >> Is there any way to make it faster? Or am I using the wrong service?
13 >> >
14 >> > It may be taking time to gather entropy. In that case you could install
15 >> > sys- apps/haveged and add it to your boot run-level.
16 >>
17 >> Well, I presume the problem is related to ntpdate itself.
18 >>
19 >> It is working in a blocking way that the remaining boot processes have
20 >> to wait until the time got synchronized.
21 >
22 > Or, until the network is up and a time server can be contacted?
25 >> Is there any way to make it update the time in an asynchronize way?
26 >> Or should I use ntpd instead?
27 >>
28 >> Thanks.
29 >>
30 >> Danny
31 >
32 > I don't run ntp-client here, but have a look at its startup script and any
33 > dependencies defined therein, then perhaps tweak /etc/rc.conf. Does setting
34 > rc_depend_strict="NO" makes a difference?
35 >
36 > --
37 > Regards,
38 >
39 > Mick
40
41 In fact since my PC is using a wire connection, the network starting
42 process takes very short time.
43
44 It is the problem of slow NTP itself.
45
46 I tried "rc_depend_strict" but no luck...