From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ntp-client slows down the boot process
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 14:55:25
1 On Friday, 26 July 2019 15:23:11 BST YUE Daian wrote:
2 > On 2019-07-26 09:30, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Friday, 26 July 2019 05:36:29 BST YUE Daian wrote:
4 > >> Hi folks,
5 > >>
6 > >> I use ntp-client to synchronize the date/time of my Gentoo system.
7 > >>
8 > >> I added it to the default boot level (OpenRC), however it seriously
9 > >> slows down the boot process (around 10 seconds or so).
10 > >>
11 > >> Is there any way to make it faster? Or am I using the wrong service?
12 > >
13 > > It may be taking time to gather entropy. In that case you could install
14 > > sys- apps/haveged and add it to your boot run-level.
15 >
16 > Well, I presume the problem is related to ntpdate itself.
17 >
18 > It is working in a blocking way that the remaining boot processes have
19 > to wait until the time got synchronized.
20
21 Or, until the network is up and a time server can be contacted?
24 > Is there any way to make it update the time in an asynchronize way?
25 > Or should I use ntpd instead?
26 >
27 > Thanks.
28 >
29 > Danny
30
31 I don't run ntp-client here, but have a look at its startup script and any
32 dependencies defined therein, then perhaps tweak /etc/rc.conf. Does setting
33 rc_depend_strict="NO" makes a difference?
36 Regards,
37
38 Mick