From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beast / BSE
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2015 06:30:37
1 Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> [15-12-05 06:44]:
2 > On 12/04/2015 09:44 AM, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > (WARNING! I am no native english speaker! :)
4 >
5 > No problem, so far I can understand what you are saying. :-)
6 >
7 > > I tried to compile the beast outside but regardless what I
8 > > was doing, it bests configure insists of not seeing libpng,
9 > > which definitely ist installed on my system.
10 >
11 > I discovered the problem: beast (and its dependency rapicorn) is written
12 > using libpng:1.2 (according to its configure file) - which is actually
13 > still in portage. The problem is, portage doesn't install the
14 > libpng12.pc file that pkgconfig needs or any other headers/include
15 > files needed during the build process.
16 >
17 > When I discovered this I figured I'd better roll out a virtual machine
18 > so I don't screw up my main machine.
19 >
20 > Anyway, in the new virtual machine I figured no big deal, I changed the
21 > configure script to point to what was installed (libpng-1.6). However,
22 > between 1.2 and 1.6 there's been a lot of changes, including functions
23 > being renamed and a bunch of other stuff moved around. Until the author
24 > updates his own libraries (speaking of rapicorn mostly here) it will
25 > likely never compile on gentoo. However, it looks like on a binary
26 > distro it would compile, specifically on Ubuntu distros according to the
27 > documentation (Ubuntu appears to maintain support for older libpng builds?)
28 >
29 > The other major issue is that pretty much all other packages in gentoo
30 > rely on libpng:1.6 so removing it and installing only libpng:1.2 is not
31 > an option.
34 > > Since you ar intested in the program (or: in this kind of programs?)
35 > > you may also take a look at zynaddsubfx...
36 >
37 > Thanks, I'll check that out too. At least that one is in portage already.
38 >
39 > Dan
42 Hi Dan,
43
44 thank you very much for your help and effort in examine this beast
45 (oh, I like it, if words have more ways to understand them, hihihi!)
46
47 What about installing libpng 1.2 manually in /usr/local (not using
48 portage but good ole make/gcc).
49 I think, /usr/local is made for this kind of stuff and it should
50 not interfere with the rest of the gentoo world.
51 And it can easily be fixed if it does interfere nevertheless.
52 If libpng is the only thing...
53
54 I will try that...but...one question:
55 What do I need to patch/modifiy/crank in the configuration script
56 of the beast to point it to /usr/local?
57
58 Another interesting programs of this kind are:
59 puredata (aka pd)
60 chuck
61 csound
62
63 Have a nice weekend!
64 Best regards,
65 Meino
66
67 PS: Some links to Zunaddsubfx resources...they give an overview
68 (not more) since partly outdated:
69 https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfhmN_gT2qqmgeVeqN0mdTfLjWBKLJwhK
70 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjkLolNPsVE
71 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSkO3NjHQ8c