From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 14:22:04
1 On Sunday 30 Aug 2015 14:26:36 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Philip.
3 >
4 > On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 12:04:43AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
5 > > How long do desktop users typically leave their systems between reboots ?
6 > > How long between power off/on's ?
7 >
8 > I switch my PC on in the morning when I want to start using it. I
9 > switch it off before going to bed, or going out shopping, or things like
10 > that. I don't like wasting electricity.
11
12 Same here. Unless I am somewhere near the desk the laptop is on sleep.
13 Overnight it is shut down.
16 > > I've long been in the habit of switching everything off while I sleep,
17 > > then restarting after I've woken & got going again myself.
18 > > However recently, I've run into delays getting my router
19 > > (only 1 device attached) to shake hands successfully with my ISP's
20 > > server, which have been requiring several power off/on's before it
21 > > works.
22
23 I think that it may be better troubleshooting your ISP PPPoE negotiation (or
24 whatever protocol they are using) than changing your usage habits. Well, I
25 would be doing this anyway, out of curiosity. :-)
28 > Unfortunately, I need to leave my router permanently powered up, which I
29 > resent. German telephone companies have been offering only VOIP
30 > telephone connections for some while, now, which basically means that
31 > instead of the companies converting IP packets into a telephone signal,
32 > every subscriber's got to do it himself. So where people could
33 > previously simply buy a telephone handset and plug it into the wall,
34 > they've now potentially got to spend extra on a router and somehow
35 > manage to configure that router. And of course, the router contuously
36 > wastes electricity, waiting for that occasional incoming call, whereas
37 > previously the handset was only powered up, from the exchange, when a
38 > call was in progress. Progress this is not.
39
40 I Power cuts can cause re-syncs and a lower sync rate for my connection, so I
41 leave the router powered up 24-7 and connected to a UPS. The waste of
42 electricity is tiny.
45 > > As a result, I've started rebooting only after my weekly system update
46 > > -- it means I get to use the new versions of everything --
47 > > & not powering off at all ; the monitor + Xscreensaver are off
48 > > whenever I'm away from the machine for >= 1 hr (approx).
49 > >
50 > > Are there any pro's/con's I sb aware of ?
51
52 As others have mentioned consider hibernation for overnight purposes (S4) and
53 sleep (S3) for when you are away from your desk for longer periods of time.
54 However, I would be intrigued as to what might be wrong with the ISP network
55 authentication. ;-)
58 Regards,
59 Mick