From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd? [ Was: The End Is Near ... ]
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 23:20:45
1 On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 18:58:22 -0400
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:35:26AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
5 >
6 > > > systemd is like Captain Picard of STTNG (Start Trek The Next
7 > > > Generation) always saying "make it so". *HOW DO YOU "MAKE IT SO"?
8 > > > That intelligence has to be somewhere. So what alternative do you
9 > > > propose? A bash or ash script is more guaranteed to run than a
10 > > > binary. Shoving all that "intelligence" into the service itself,
11 > > > means that the service has to start up in order to determine
12 > > > whether it's safe for the service to start up. What's wrong with
13 > > > this picture?
14 > >
15 > > The intelligence goes in the init system's config file for that
16 > > service of course. I know I didn't clearly say so, but that's where
17 > > it goes.
18 >
19 > The config file can specify upper/lower limits, variables, settings,
20 > etc, etc. But in the end, some executable somewhere is going to have
21 > to parse the config file, check the actual environment, and decide
22 > whether or not to launch the service, and with what parameters.
23 >
24 > Note also that many open source programs are multiplatform. I.e.
25 > they run on FreeDOS with DJGPP, multiple flavours of Windows,
26 > multiple BSDs (including Apple), linux, and multiple commercial unix
27 > flavours. Do you really want to throw multiple platform-specific
28 > IFDEFs into the program code to allow the services to do the
29 > appropriate platform-specific initialization? Isn't it be easier to
30 > move the service setup out of the main service, and let the
31 > maintainers of the specific platforms figure it out?
32 >
33 > One last question. Let's go back in time 20 years, and assume that
34 > you're the maintainer for a program that runs as a service. A small
35 > handfull of end-users come along. They're running a "hobby OS" that
36 > fits on a couple floppies. Said "hobby OS" has been cobbled together
37 > by a university student. Would you...
38 > * download that university student's hobby OS, and install it
39 > * throw in a bunch of additional IFDEF initialization code in your
40 > program
41 > * test and debug the program to make sure it runs under that OS
44 I'm not sure where you're going with this. We're discussing an init
45 system and good, simple ways to start services. App maintainers are
46 going to continue to do whatever they feel they ought to do, some might
47 write the systemd files, some might not - that is what already
48 happens. Someone has to write it and what goes in it depends on what
49 the app code does, not the other way round.
50
51 I'm not punting the merits of systemd, I don;t know enough about it. I
52 started off by saying a nice clean easy way to do init would be
53 awesome, as I'm sick and tired of having to deal with sysvinit. That's
54 all, don't read more into it than that.
55
56 As for the last question, I really have no idea where you're taking
57 this. I don't know the answer, I've never been a maintainer in that
58 position. Being the arrogant shit that I am, I reckon I would probably
59 tell the user to piss off and I don't support hobby crap. But hey,
60 that's just what I think I might say while sitting here on my couch.
61 Any other answer would be equally made up.
64 Alan McKinnnon
65 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com