From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X Freezes With Firefox on Many Post 2.6.38 Kernels
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 15:31:33
1 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Friday, July 29, 2011 02:41:20 PM Dale wrote:
5 >> I sort of gave up on this drive. I had a very kind soul to send me a
6 >> video card when I did this build. He also sent me a 250Gb drive. I
7 >> copied all I could to that but did lose a LOT of my videos and such.
8 >> Anyway, I'm doing this right now:
9 >>
10 >> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc
11 >>
12 >> I figure that will put it back like brand new and very blank. I'll
13 >> recreate my partition, throw a file system on it and see if it will let
14 >> me copy back to it or not.
15 >>
16 > It will, is this the dodgy one?
17 > If yes, and this works, then there likely is/was something wrong with the
18 > filesystem itself that the filecheck tools didn't find.
19 > In this case, a copy would be really usefull for developers to try to find out
20 > what was actually causing the issue.
24 That was the dodgy one. After dd finished, I created a new file system,
25 copied my data back over and it has been working fine ever since. So,
26 it was not the drive itself or at least appears not to be anyway. It
27 doesn't seem to have been the kernel or related either. Something just
28 got messed up on the drive somewhere. I think we beat the crap out of
29 everything else. ;-) I do find it odd that it caused a panic like
30 this. If the OS was on it, then I could see it doing that but not just
31 a data drive Should have been a error in messages, dmesg or something
32 other than a panic.
33
34 >> While I am at it, what is the best file system for videos? That is the
35 >> biggest thing I use that drive for. I had a LOT of NCIS, CSI and other
36 >> shows that are now gone. Anyway, what are opinions on a file system for
37 >> videos on a 750Gb drive? I had reiserfs on it before.
38 >>
39 > For large filesizes, I tend to use XFS.
40 > For small filesizes (like email and website), I tend to use reiserfs.
41 >
42 > Not sure what other options there are.
43 > JFS might also be good for large filesizes, but then you definitely need a
44 > good and reliable UPS to shut down cleanly. (If I remember it all correctly)
48 I used XFS before and I still have a bad taste from it. You are correct
49 on needing a UPS if you use XFS. The rig I used it on didn't have that
50 so it crashed and burned with each power failure hence the bad taste. :/
51
52 I went with ext4 for the file system. It seems to work OK. I still got
53 my fingers crossed. ;-)
54
55 Dale
56