From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo or Linux from Scratch - Perspectives?
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 10:07:21
1 On Monday 15 August 2005 11:54, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:06:59 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > > That's the whole point. ebuilds need to be thoroughly tested before
4 > > > being marked stable, so you need a testing branch.
5 > > > Without it, your stable branch would not be.
6 > >
7 > > I am a long time ~arch-only user and have/had less problems, than friends
8 >
9 > Spoken like a true geek :)
10 >
11 > > using the stable tree. Plus if there is a problem, my friends
12 > > with stable will hit it too some days/week later - and I am there
13 > > 'support', so it is good for me, if I already found a solution.
14 >
15 > Oh, there's more :) I too have found ~arch to be extremely reliable. The
16 > main downside is the extra time spent on updates, which could be a killer
17 > in a production environment.
18
19 oh yeah... and don't wait too long with the updates.. less than once every few
20 days and the problems will pile up... from my humble experience, it is much
21 less troublesome, to do daily updates, than weekly ones ;)
22 So ~arch is only for people who don't mind having some compiling in the
23 background running.
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list