From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't ping remote system
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 13:00:31
1 >> I called AT&T and they say the Westell 6100 modem/router I have will
2 >> not respond to pings. They said I could put it into bridged mode and
3 >> set up PPPoE on the computer connected to it which would cause ICMP
4 >> packets to pass through to the computer. Would you guys recommend
5 >> that? For sure I won't attempt this until I'm in the same room as the
6 >> device.
7 >
8 > You'll lose the router functionality doing that. If you need to connect
9 > other machines to it, then it will only be able to act as a switch, meaning
10 > that everything you connect to it will either need to be on the same subnet,
11 > or you need to configure another machine to act as a router if you need to
12 > connect different subnets. And the machine will also need to be always on
13 > in order to provide internet connectivity to other machines, since it will
14 > be the one that talks to the ADSL modem.
15 >
16 > You'll also be losing NAT, which is quite nice for redirecting traffic on
17 > specific ports to whatever machine you want. As with the router
18 > functionality, you will need to configure a Linux machine to do NAT if you
19 > want to keep having that feature.
20 >
21 > There's also the issue of not being able to set up a firewall on the router
22 > itself anymore. You can still do that on the target machine itself, of
23 > course, but there's the issue of creating a firewall on the machine you want
24 > to protect, which is not optimal (the analogy here being that if you want to
25 > protect something, you put it behind a wall rather than hardening it; even
26 > if it's hardened, it still gets hit.)
27 >
28 > Or, you might not care about any of the above, in which case using the
29 > device as a simple ASDL modem (which is what bridging means) will work just
30 > fine.
31
32 That's actually exactly what I want. The Gentoo system connected to
33 the single-port Westell modem/router is already set up as a
34 router/firewall and it is the one doing NAT. Thank you for the
35 run-down. Now I feel like I know exactly what this change will mean.
36
37 - Grant