From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't ping remote system
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 19:03:50
1 On 02/09/13 21:17, Grant wrote:
2 >>>>> So the culprit is the first IP that should appear in the list but
3 >>>>> doesn't? If so, how is that helpful since it's not displayed?
4 >>>>
5 >>>> This is where it gets tricky. You identify the last router in the list
6 >>>> for which you have an address or name, and contact the NOC team for that
7 >>>> organization. Ask them for the next hop in routing for the destination
8 >>>> address you are trying to ping and hope that they will be kind enough to
9 >>>> help you out.
10 >>>
11 >>> Oh man that's funny. Really? Let's say they do pass along the info.
12 >>> Then I hunt down contact info for the culprit router based on its IP
13 >>> and tell them their stuff isn't working and hope they fix it?
14 >>> Actually, since the last IP displayed is from AT&T and my server's ISP
15 >>> is AT&T, I suppose it's extremely likely that the culprit is either an
16 >>> AT&T router somewhere or my own server and I could find out by calling
17 >>> AT&T.
18 >>
19 >> It could well be your router and it is easy to confirm this after you set it
20 >> up to respond to ping (or set it to forward all packets with ICMP protocol to
21 >> your server while you're troubleshooting this).
22 >
23 > I called AT&T and they say the Westell 6100 modem/router I have will
24 > not respond to pings. They said I could put it into bridged mode and
25 > set up PPPoE on the computer connected to it which would cause ICMP
26 > packets to pass through to the computer. Would you guys recommend
27 > that? For sure I won't attempt this until I'm in the same room as the
28 > device.
29
30 You'll lose the router functionality doing that. If you need to connect
31 other machines to it, then it will only be able to act as a switch,
32 meaning that everything you connect to it will either need to be on the
33 same subnet, or you need to configure another machine to act as a router
34 if you need to connect different subnets. And the machine will also
35 need to be always on in order to provide internet connectivity to other
36 machines, since it will be the one that talks to the ADSL modem.
37
38 You'll also be losing NAT, which is quite nice for redirecting traffic
39 on specific ports to whatever machine you want. As with the router
40 functionality, you will need to configure a Linux machine to do NAT if
41 you want to keep having that feature.
42
43 There's also the issue of not being able to set up a firewall on the
44 router itself anymore. You can still do that on the target machine
45 itself, of course, but there's the issue of creating a firewall on the
46 machine you want to protect, which is not optimal (the analogy here
47 being that if you want to protect something, you put it behind a wall
48 rather than hardening it; even if it's hardened, it still gets hit.)
49
50 Or, you might not care about any of the above, in which case using the
51 device as a simple ASDL modem (which is what bridging means) will work
52 just fine.