From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't ping remote system
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2013 18:17:25
1 >> >> So the culprit is the first IP that should appear in the list but
2 >> >> doesn't? If so, how is that helpful since it's not displayed?
3 >> >
4 >> > This is where it gets tricky. You identify the last router in the list
5 >> > for which you have an address or name, and contact the NOC team for that
6 >> > organization. Ask them for the next hop in routing for the destination
7 >> > address you are trying to ping and hope that they will be kind enough to
8 >> > help you out.
9 >>
10 >> Oh man that's funny. Really? Let's say they do pass along the info.
11 >> Then I hunt down contact info for the culprit router based on its IP
12 >> and tell them their stuff isn't working and hope they fix it?
13 >> Actually, since the last IP displayed is from AT&T and my server's ISP
14 >> is AT&T, I suppose it's extremely likely that the culprit is either an
15 >> AT&T router somewhere or my own server and I could find out by calling
16 >> AT&T.
17 >
18 > It could well be your router and it is easy to confirm this after you set it
19 > up to respond to ping (or set it to forward all packets with ICMP protocol to
20 > your server while you're troubleshooting this).
21
22 I called AT&T and they say the Westell 6100 modem/router I have will
23 not respond to pings. They said I could put it into bridged mode and
24 set up PPPoE on the computer connected to it which would cause ICMP
25 packets to pass through to the computer. Would you guys recommend
26 that? For sure I won't attempt this until I'm in the same room as the
27 device.
28
29 - Grant