From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How-to AMD Sempron 3300+
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 01:40:14
1 Peter wrote:
2 > On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 08:08:22 +0300, Daniel Iliev wrote:
3 >
4 > snip...
5 >
6 >> I'm not sure which is the least problematic way to recompile my gentoo
7 >> in way that the software would be able to utilize the 64bit extensions
8 >> and the new instruction sets of the CPU. Will changing the CHOST and the
9 >> CFLAGS followed by
12 > don't do that.
13 >
14 > snip...
15 >
16 > Don't change anything. That's my advice. Enjoy the addition 32bit speed.
20 You are right - now I'm really enjoying the speed improvement between
21 Athlon XP 1700+ and Sempron 3300+
22 BUT as far as I know myself I'll try to reach the limits. I opened this
23 thread in hope that the migration would be easy and I'll need just
24 several tips & tricks from you guys, but the more I read, the more
25 scared I get.
26
27 I learned that first of all I need a "x86_64" kernel. For this purpose I
28 need a cross-compiling environment which I could not get following
29 Vapier's "http://dev.gentoo.org/~vapier/CROSS-COMPILE-HOWTO" - it seems
30 to be outdated. My second try was to boot from Gentoo's official
31 install-amd64-minimal-2006.1.iso
32 <http://gentoo.itdnet.net/gentoo/releases/amd64/current/installcd/install-amd64-minimal-2006.1.iso>,
33 but I couldn't mount my existing XFS which resides on stripe raid.
34
35 In other words I need to read a lot more before asking questions on this
36 subject here .
37 Thanks for your answers and sorry for bothering you guys.
40 Best regards,
41 Daniel
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list