From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert rpm to ebuild
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 20:28:19
1 Am Donnerstag 10 Mai 2007 21:53 schrieb Bo Ørsted Andresen:
2 > On Thursday 10 May 2007 21:06:13 Florian Philipp wrote:
3 > > I thought this question would be quiet common but I've been unable to get
4 > > an answer googling and looking through howtos. Actually there are some
5 > > links in an old thread on forums.gentoo.org but its target seems to have
6 > > moved.
7 >
8 > Well, you can always make an ebuild for it.
9 >
10 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/rpm-sources
11 >/index.html
12
13 Argh, that's the broken link I was talking about, thanks!
14
15 However, it seems as if there is no "easy" way to perform it and there are
16 still some questions for me:
17
18 1. This page provides no way to handle a binary-only rpm, just sources. Yet,
19 sources are no problem since they should be available as a tarball or in
20 portage itself while rpms of proprietary closed-source software are quiet
21 common. I could transfer them into a .deb-archive using "alien" which leads
22 me to problem number 2 ...
23
24 2. This page [1] tells me how to extract a .deb-package and that I "could just
25 extract [its binaries] to /" But this doesn't help me because portage does
26 not know about this package, its dependencies and so on. I could break my
27 system quiet easily this way.
28
29 [1]
30 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/deb-sources/index.html