From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert rpm to ebuild
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 20:43:13
1 On Thursday 10 May 2007 22:16:59 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > > > I thought this question would be quiet common but I've been unable to
3 > > > get an answer googling and looking through howtos. Actually there are
4 > > > some links in an old thread on forums.gentoo.org but its target seems
5 > > > to have moved.
6 > >
7 > > Well, you can always make an ebuild for it.
8 > >
9 > > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/rpm-sources/index.html
10 >
11 > Argh, that's the broken link I was talking about, thanks!
12 >
13 > However, it seems as if there is no "easy" way to perform it and there are
14 > still some questions for me:
15 >
16 > 1. This page provides no way to handle a binary-only rpm, just sources.
17 > Yet, sources are no problem since they should be available as a tarball or
18 > in portage itself while rpms of proprietary closed-source software are
19 > quiet common. I could transfer them into a .deb-archive using "alien" which
20 > leads me to problem number 2 ...
21
22 There are plenty of ebuilds for binary only packages in the tree. The above
23 link helps you to unpack the binary files to $WORKDIR. After that you can use
24 the install functions [1] (or cp or whatever) in src_install() to install
25 to the image ($D). And perhaps you need and env.d file or whatever else may be
26 missing (for additions to *PATH variables).
27
28 When all of that is done you can emerge it. And no, a .deb isn't any better.
29
30 [1] http://devmanual.gentoo.org/function-reference/install-functions/index.html
33 Bo Andresen