From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert rpm to ebuild
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 21:19:39
1 Am Donnerstag 10 Mai 2007 22:29 schrieb Bo Ørsted Andresen:
2 > On Thursday 10 May 2007 22:16:59 Florian Philipp wrote:
3 > > > > I thought this question would be quiet common but I've been unable to
4 > > > > get an answer googling and looking through howtos. Actually there are
5 > > > > some links in an old thread on forums.gentoo.org but its target seems
6 > > > > to have moved.
7 > > >
8 > > > Well, you can always make an ebuild for it.
9 > > >
10 > > > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/functions/src_unpack/rpm-sou
11 > > >rces/index.html
12 > >
13 > > Argh, that's the broken link I was talking about, thanks!
14 > >
15 > > However, it seems as if there is no "easy" way to perform it and there
16 > > are still some questions for me:
17 > >
18 > > 1. This page provides no way to handle a binary-only rpm, just sources.
19 > > Yet, sources are no problem since they should be available as a tarball
20 > > or in portage itself while rpms of proprietary closed-source software are
21 > > quiet common. I could transfer them into a .deb-archive using "alien"
22 > > which leads me to problem number 2 ...
23 >
24 > There are plenty of ebuilds for binary only packages in the tree. The above
25 > link helps you to unpack the binary files to $WORKDIR. After that you can
26 > use the install functions [1] (or cp or whatever) in src_install() to
27 > install to the image ($D). And perhaps you need and env.d file or whatever
28 > else may be missing (for additions to *PATH variables).
29 >
30 > When all of that is done you can emerge it. And no, a .deb isn't any
31 > better.
32 >
33 > [1]
34 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/function-reference/install-functions/index.html
35
36 Hmm, looks quiet complicated. Maybe there is a simpler solution:
37
38 Since I can install an rpm after emerging rpm itself, there is no need to
39 convert it. All I have to do is to make portage aware of this package. Of
40 course I would have to take care of dependencies myself and let rpm forget
41 about dependencies since it doesn't know about my emerged packages.
42
43 Could that work? How do I do it?