From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Java apps in 64 bit JVM?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:47:31
1 On Monday 29 June 2009 20:31:07 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Alan McKinnon<alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > Hi all,
5 > >
6 > > The company has a Juniper Secure Connect VPN and I run amd64. The process
7 > > is: log in via a web page in a browser, click a button and the page
8 > > starts a java APP to create the ssl tunnel - a full blown Swing app, not
9 > > a mere applet.
10 > >
11 > > I've only ever got this Java app to run in 32 bit Firefox with the
12 > > java-x86- emul package. 64 bit Firefox, Konqueror, Opera all fail. I've
13 > > tried sun-jdk, sun-jre (nsplugin and nsplugin-2), blackdown and icedtea.
14 > >
15 > > The only thing that works is firefox-bin with a 32bit jvm. The app
16 > > doesn't do much in the way of logging so I don't know why it's failing.
17 > > This strikes me as odd:
18 > >
19 > > A java app is bytecode that is independent of platform. It should make no
20 > > difference whether a 32bit or 64bit jvm executes the bytecode as the
21 > > format of the Java Virtual Machine and it's bytecode is constant.
22 > >
23 > > Surely?
24 >
25 > According to my Google search results, a 64-bit Sun Java plug-in has
26 > been provided starting with Java SE 6 Update 12 Build 02. You should
27 > be able to select your preferred plug-in and virtual machine using
28 > eselect (I don't think I have tried it... I can't remember the last
29 > time I encountered a Java applet on the web)
30
31 I said in my original post that I had tried a 64 bit jre without success. It's
32 also NOT an applet - it continues to run as it's own full-blown process even
33 after the browser exits.
34
35 And the correct commands to configure system and user vm's were executed each
36 time.
39 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com