From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems booting vanilla kernel 4.1.x
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 14:31:21
1 On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 3:09 PM, Peter Weilbacher
2 <newsspam@××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > On Tue, 25 Aug 2015, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
4 >
5 >> I've never experienced this particular kernel trouble myself, so I'm
6 >> not sure if my input would be of much help.
7 >> Here's what the kernel documentation has to say about this kind of issue:
8 >>
9 >> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/RCU/stallwarn.txt:29,33
10 > [...]
11 >> Have a look for possibly stack traces in these log files:
12 >> /var/log/{messages,dmesg}.
13 >>
14 >> Hopefully, someone else with more kernel debugging experience will
15 >> have something more substantial to say about this.
16 >
17 > Thanks for the reply, Alex. I had googled for those messages, too, and
18 > had found that RCU info. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do with
19 > it, since it stops right at the booting stage, right before init starts,
20 > so before I can do anything interactive.
21 >
22 > I have posted a message to the LKML, maybe someone there has a hint.
23 > (The machine is old and rarely used, but I would still like to run the
24 > newest software because it is connected to the net.)
25 >
26 > Peter.
29 Hope you do get this sorted.
30
31 You probably did look into this yourself, but did you double-check
32 your /etc/lilo.conf? Is everything fine there?
33
34 Here are my RCU kernel config options. What do yours look like?
35 % uname -r
36 4.1.6-vanilla
37 % grep RCU .config
38 # RCU Subsystem
39 CONFIG_TREE_RCU=y
40 CONFIG_SRCU=y
41 # CONFIG_TASKS_RCU is not set
42 CONFIG_RCU_STALL_COMMON=y
43 CONFIG_RCU_FANOUT=32
44 CONFIG_RCU_FANOUT_LEAF=16
45 # CONFIG_RCU_FANOUT_EXACT is not set
46 # CONFIG_RCU_FAST_NO_HZ is not set
47 # CONFIG_TREE_RCU_TRACE is not set
48 CONFIG_RCU_KTHREAD_PRIO=0
49 # CONFIG_RCU_NOCB_CPU is not set
50 # CONFIG_RCU_EXPEDITE_BOOT is not set
51 # RCU Debugging
52 # CONFIG_PROVE_RCU is not set
53 # CONFIG_SPARSE_RCU_POINTER is not set
54 # CONFIG_RCU_TORTURE_TEST is not set
55 CONFIG_RCU_CPU_STALL_TIMEOUT=21
56 # CONFIG_RCU_CPU_STALL_INFO is not set
57 # CONFIG_RCU_TRACE is not set