From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 16:12:11
1 On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:37:14 -0400, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >
4 >> >> No, by "you know what needs to be done" I mean: code. Contribute.
5 >> >> Become a developer. Make shit happens the way you think it should
6 >> >> happen.
7 >> >
8 >> > You're happy to run an important system service coded by someone with
9 >> > less experience than their dislike of the way things are going.
10 >>
11 >> Someone with "less experience"? As I said before, Kay has been working
12 >> in udev for more than eight years. I think he's entitle to receive the
13 >> acknowledge of his experience.
14 >
15 > Yet you are suggesting that others code the solutions.
16
17 No, I am suggesting that, if something in the direction of
18 usev/Gentoo/Linux bother someone, that someone has to code up
19 something in the direction s/he would like things to go, or accept
20 what the developers decide.
21
22 > I'm sorry, but
23 > being pissed off with the current trend in udev is not sufficient
24 > qualification to write a replacement.
25
26 I agree. I am not "pissed off" by any of the developments in Linux in
27 general and Gentoo in particular in the last few years: on the
28 contrary, I am quite happy with them.
29
30 >> > Trust me, you would want to run a udev that contained any code
31 >> > written by me!
32 >>
33 >> No offense man, but I don't know you enough so I "would want to run a
34 >> udev that contained any code written by" you.
35 >
36 > Then why have you repeatedly suggested that I and others in these threads
37 > "code it yourself".
38
39 Because nobody else is going to do it for you or them. That's the
40 point. Either convince the developers to code the stuff to work like
41 you want, or do it youtself.
42
43 And if you do it yourself, don't necessarily expect the rest of the
44 world will run to use your code.
45
46 > The solution is not to spit the dummy and write a poorly coded fork,
47 > discarding years of experience. The solution is rational debate so that
48 > those who can and do write the code can do a better job.
49
50 Mmmh. Not exactly.
51
52 The "rational debate" happens in the Open Source conferences,
53 developer mailing lists and IRC. The proposed changes are not a sudden
54 outbreak of craziness by one or more developers: is the result of the
55 "rational debate" among them, and of the code they produce.
56
57 If you don't write code, you can "rational debate" as much as you
58 want, but as long as the ones writing the code are not involved, it's
59 not very useful. And even if the developers are involved, be ready for
60 them to maybe disagree with you.
61
62 Regards.
63 --