From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} dvdrip permissions error, alternative?
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 17:05:22
1 > What's the error?
2 > I've run dvdrip for a long time and don't get any errors.
3
4 Embarassing, but I needed to change the CHANGE_ME paths to eliminate the errors.
5
6 > > I'm trying to make backups of my DVDs that are smaller than the full
7 > > 8GB but don't lose any noticeable audio or video quality. I'd be
8 > > happy to just select the audio and video track I want and rip them
9 > > without any transcoding. Would anyone recommend a program other than
10 > > dvdrip for this? I would use mplayer's mencode, but mplayer can't
11 > > play my "The Life of Mammals" DVD so I don't think mencode will work.
12 > > I believe that DVD is copy protected.
13 >
14 > dvd9to5. If you don't put a blank dvd into the drive it'll leave a DVD image
15 > under 4.7GB.
16 >
17 > I do my DVDs with both dvd9to5 and dvdrip (at 192Kbps MP3 audio, 1500Kbps
18 > video) and the quality is all but perfect (1800Kbps video should easily clear
19 > up the very very small lose).
20
21 I've been experimenting with dvdrip and it seems like if I want
22 perfect image quality I'll only save about half the space and the
23 process is such a mess. It's time-consuming and lossy. I think I'll
24 stick with:
25
26 dd if=/dev/dvd of=image.dvd
27
28 and pay a $2 storage fee per movie instead of $1. That's perfect
29 quality, all the features, and full menus. I could see it if you're
30 trying to fit a movie on a CD or a single-layer DVD, but it doesn't
31 make sense to me for hard disk backups.
32
33 I wish there was something like FLAC for video so you could make a
34 perfect backup and the only option to be concerned with would be time
35 vs. space.
36
37 - Grant
38 --