From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 22:42:40
1 On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:33:04 -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2
3 > > Yes they have. Remove anything in the least suspect and emerge -cp.
4 > > Then emerge -n anything listed that you need.
5 >
6 > I don't know which ones I need, and I can't just remove them and cross
7 > my fingers, because these are live servers.
8
9 You remove them from the world file, not the system. Then run emerge -cp
10 to seen what would be depcleaned. Nothing is uninstalled and nothing
11 stops working.
12
13 > > There was a script floating around that created a new world file that
14 > > contained all installed packages that were not a dependency of another
15 > > installed package. It's not a perfect fix, but pretty close.
16 >
17 > I gave a concrete example from one of our web servers where this would
18 > remove something important.
19
20 How so? If anything that was not a dependency of something else was in
21 the world file, how could anything be removed?
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing.