From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge --update behavior
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 21:34:38
1 On 01/02/2012 04:25 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 16:08:44 -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 >
4 >> No one has offered up a way to fix it yet, or a downside to the old
5 >> behavior.
6 >
7 > Yes they have. Remove anything in the least suspect and emerge -cp. Then
8 > emerge -n anything listed that you need.
9
10 I don't know which ones I need, and I can't just remove them and cross
11 my fingers, because these are live servers.
14 > There was a script floating around that created a new world file that
15 > contained all installed packages that were not a dependency of another
16 > installed package. It's not a perfect fix, but pretty close.
17
18 I gave a concrete example from one of our web servers where this would
19 remove something important.