From: Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson@×××.nu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Another plan for /usr and udev-181
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 07:14:54
1 On Friday 13 April 2012 18.44:37 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > 1. Configure the next kernel with the necessary initramfs flags, then
3 > have two grub entries for the same kernel: one with the initramfs
4 > and one without. Initially I will make the initramfs do something
5 > innocuous, and leave /usr as a separate /etc/fstab entry mounted
6 > in the old fashioned way.
7 >
8 > 2. Make sure boot works the old fashioned way, without initramfs.
9 >
10 > 3. Make sure boot works the new fangled way, with initramfs.
11 >
12 > 4. Create some temporary lvm partition and make sure the new fangled
13 > initramfs mounts it during boot without an /etc/fstab entry.
14 >
15 > 5. Remove /usr from /etc/fstab and put it in the initramfs, and make
16 > sure that boot works.
17 >
18 > 6. Merge udev-181 and whatever else is needed.
19 >
20 > 7. Cross my fingers, sacrifice a virtual goat, and try a reboot.
21 >
22 > Somewhere between 6 and 7 is the worst part; no simple way to revert
23 > and retry. Everything up til then should require no more than a
24 > simple /etc/fstab edit.
25 >
26 > Is there any way to add more steps between 6 and 7 to allow more
27 > reversability?
28 >
29 > Have I left out any steps, between 6 and 7 or anywhere else?
30
31 I have done also something like this.
32 I still have /usr in fstab (with the noauto option) just for reference.
33 The only thing (that I have noticed yet) is that the /etc/init.d/lvm fails due to the fact that LVM is already started (in initramfs).
36 Dan Johansson, <http://www.dmj.nu>
38 This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons!